April 18,2007  BALANCE… What does it mean to be balanced in today’s world?

I finally started practicing with making stencils again. I have attempted cutting stencilsP1010131_2
with
an exact-o knife but my hand cramps. I could cut out bigger designs. But I am not capable of cutting fine details. So I bought a stencil cutter at Joanne Fabrics. I need a great deal more practice to get beautiful smooth edges. But it is allot easy with this electric tool. The hot knife really does glide through the plastic like butter. I guess there are two drawbacks with this method. The first is the tool is very hot. The second P1020568
drawback is the smell of the burning plastic. But I hope to get better with practice. Plus I believe the messages on both these pages relate to living a balanced life. It is important to learn to let go and fly with love as our guide.

This entry was posted in Weblogs. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to

1. The pages look great! I know what you mean about the smell….I alter my breathing so that when the knife is in the plastic, I am bnlowing the smell away from my face. LOL What we do for art… 🙂 Have a great weekend!

2. Susan – great pages! I think it’s cool that you tried the exacto first so you would know how awesome it is to use the heat tool. I like how you painted over the letters twice. Thanks for sharing with the team!

3. Flo says:

I don’t know what I am more wowed by – your stencil designs themselves (esp. the top one), or the beautiful journal pages you made with them.
    I know what you mean about the hand cramps with hand cutting with a knife 🙂
    My hot stencil cutter arrived in the mail this morning, so I will have a play with it tonight – I have the burning plastic smell to look forward to 🙂

4. ArtKat says:

Great stencils, they look good on your pages, too! You might want to try some different kinds of plastic, some smell worse than others when heated. I didn’t think the mylar I had was too bad, but take my word for it and don’t try styrene – awful! 🙂

5. Lay hoon says:

this is beautiful.
    I use knife to cut the stencil. This is my first time heard about the hot stencil cutter. It’s must be a great tools except the 2 drawbacks that you described.

6. Cath S says:

That ‘Let Go’ is brilliant – your pages look great 🙂

7. Becci says:

Your post is pretty neat Susan! I agree living a balanced life is super important and just might be one of the major keys to life! Might be the Libra in me too…
    Have a great hair day! Becci

8. Ursula C says:

Love the stencils and your pages look fantastic! I especially love the first one, and that green is a great colour.